New on YouTube!
My 24-minute video documentary, Carnaval in the Dominican Republic 2002-2004, is now available on Youtube.
Soundscapes (musical settings for my poems):
I did a two-week Residency at Ragdale Foundation in August 2009, developing soundscapes for my poems (an approach to performance poetry – live reading or singing with my original electronic music). Here is a mp3 sample, my poem, “Star-nosed Mole”. This work includes singing, reading, and original electronic music. It is one of seven pieces completed to date. In live performance, I usually chant, as you can hear in the background, rather than read over chanting.
The soundscape poem, “Fusion Reactor”, was published in the Mad Hatters’ Review, Issue 12, with a flash animation I created.
I am regularly performing my soundscapes (sometimes a capella) at my readings. Lately, I use my iPhone as the playback device. Some venues don’t have sound systems, and once I forgot the right patch cord for a professional sound board. So, after a few experiments with laptops and with computer speakers carried in my suitcase (ugh!), I bought a Jambox, a very small high-quality portable speaker. A bit pricey, but very good for the purpose. Now if I only had a roadie!
- June 8, 2012, I read and performed all the soundscape poems at the Cafe Mezzaluna in Saugerties, NY.
- April 2, 2011, I read and performed soundscape poems at the Kava Coffeehouse, Mt. Pleasant, MI with Amee Schmidt and Don Cellini.
- November 19, 2010, I performed my soundscape poetry at the Espresso Express Coffe House, Bay City, MI.
- I performed the soundscape poems at the Print Gallery in Southfield, MI, on August 22, 2009.
- Featured Reader, Harmony Coffee House weekly series, December 3, 2012.
- Featured Reader, Woodstock Jewish Congregation, October 5, 2012.
- Featured Reader, Bright Hill, Treadwell, NY, May 24, 2012.
- Featured Reader, Phoenix Reading Series, Scali Cafe, Bleeker St, NY, May 20, 2012.
- Featured Reader, Harmony Coffee House weekly series, Woodstock, NY., October 29, 2012.
- Reading from my new book of translations, Poets Follies, Grosse Pointe Park Public Library with Vievee Francis and Mary Sanders Smith, December 17, 2009.
- Reading and launch, new book of translations, Saginaw Valley State University, Zahnow Library,Wednesday, November 18, 2009, with Ann Garcia (language consultant on the project).
- Reading with Rhoda Stamell, Poets Follies, Grosse Pointe Park Public Library, July 16, 2009.
- Featured reading, 30th International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, Orlando, FL, March 18-22, 2009
- Reading (and participated in a panel about publishing) Winter Heat Writers Retreat, Higgins Lake, MI, 1/10/09
- Reading, Creative Spirit Center, Midland, MI, May 13, 2008
- Reading at Rustbelt Roethke Professional Writers Workshop/Retreat, July 2008
- Reading, Studio 23, Bay City Artwalk, April 3, 2008
- Reading, Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD), November 18, 2007
- Reading, Grey Hair series, Hallwalls, Buffalo, NY, October 17, 2007.
- Reading, Creative Spirit Center, Midland, MI, as part of Rustbelt Roethke Professional Writers’ Retreat, July 23, 2007
- Reading, Poetry Follies, Grosse Pointe Artists, Grosse Pointe, MI, May 25, 2007
- Reading, Ann Arbor Book Festival, Ann Arbor, MI, May 19, 2007
- Reading, G’s Café, West Branch, MI, April 2007
- Featured Poet, First Thursday Gallery Walk: The Art of Poetry, Bay City, MI, April 2007
- Featured Poet and judge for Pentangle magazine poetry award, Manatee Community College,
Bradenton, FL, February 2007
- Featured poet at Birthday Readings, Barnes & Noble Saginaw, October 2006
- Featured Poet, Music, Magic & More: Best of the Bay, Bay City, MI, June 2006
- Featured Poet, Grosse Pointe Artists, May 2006
- Featured Poet, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI, March 2006
- Booked for Lunch, YWCA/Bay County LIbrary, Bay City, MI, February 2006
- Featured Poet , Creative Spirit Center , Midland , MI , January 2006.
- Featured Poet (with other Mayapple Press poets), Ludington Visiting Writers, Ludington , MI , October 2005.
- Featured Poet, Ferris State University , Big Rapids, MI, October 2005.
- Oloyou: An Afro-Caribbean Creation Story (Story-telling, video showing and Mask-making for children), Claytor Branch Library, Saginaw, MI, September 2005.
- Featured Poet, Rustbelt Roethke Professional Writers’ Workshop, July 2003, July 2004, July 2005, July 2006, Saginaw Valley State University.
- Featured Poet, Mac’s Backs bookstore, Cleveland, OH, April 2005.
- Participant, Mayapple Press reading at Barnes & Noble Saginaw, April 2005 for National Poetry Month.
- Featured Poet, Dwells In Attics Series, Sage Library, Bay City, MI, March 2005.
- Featured Poet, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, March 2005.
- Featured speaker, Cuba/Cuban-American Culture Week, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM, November 2004. Gave a presentation about my work translating Cuban poetry; read the English translations of Carlota Caulfield’s poetry in a performance with Caulfield.
- Featured Poet, Kirtland Community College, Roscommon, MI, November 2004.
- Wisconsin poetry reading tour: Portage County Library, Stevens Point; Appleton Public Library, Appleton; Cronies Coffee Shop, Waupaca; Ocooch Books and Libations, Richland Center; Neville Public Museum, Green Bay; June 2004.
- Western Michigan poetry tour: Books, Coffee and Friends, Allegan; Athena Book Shop, Kalamazoo; The Bookman, Grand Haven; Book Nook & Java Shop, Montague; May 2004.
- Featured Poet, Borders Books, Flint, MI, May 2004.
- Featured Poet, Women Made Gallery, Chicago, IL, May 2004.
- Featured Poet, Java Junction, West Branch, MI, April 2004.
- Featured Poet, University of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, February 2004.
- Read my translations as part of the White Pine Press reading, American Literary Translators Association annual conference, Cambridge , MA , November 2003.
- Featured Poet, Inklings, Circle Gourmet at Smith’s Flowers, Midland , MI , August 2003.
- Featured Poet – reading and talk on Dominican Republic , Roethke House, Saginaw , July 2003.
- Featured Poet, Congregation T’Chiyah, Royal Oak , MI , April 2003.
- Featured Poet – reading and translation workshop, Olean Public Library, March 2003.
- Featured Poet, Bay City Coffee and Tea Co., Bay City , January 2003.
- Featured Poet, Michigan Writers Series, Michigan State University , November 2002.
- Featured Poet, XIII Conferencia de la Asociación Internacional de Literatura Femenina Hispánica, Santo Domingo , D.R., October 2002.
- Featured Poet, Maratón de la Poesia, Feria Internacional del Libro, Santo Domingo , D.R., April 2002.
- Featured Poet, UTECI University , LaVega , Dominican Republic , May 2002.
- Featured Poet, Friends & Co., Grayling, MI, September 2001.
- Featured Poet, “Poetry at the Opera House” multicultural literary series cosponsored by the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit, the Detroit Opera Theatre and the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, July 2000.
- Featured Poet, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Dept. of English, November 1999.
- Featured Poet, Grand Wayzgoose, Iona College, Windsor, Ont., April 1999.
- Featured Poet, Artwalk, Midland, Michigan, July 1998.
- Featured Poet, “Words for the Birds: An Evening of Nature Poetry,” Green Point Environmental Learning Center, Saginaw, as part of 1998 Theodore Roethke Poetry Festival, May 1998.
- Featured Poet, Cabaret, ALEPH Kallah (national gathering), Movement for Jewish Renewal, Ft. Collins, Colorado. July 1997.
- Featured Poet, Artwalk, Midland, Michigan, June 1997. My poem “Fireflies” was displayed throughout the month in the window of 101 Main, a restaurant in Midland.
- Featured Poet, Borders Books, Birmingham, Michigan. April 1997.
- Featured Poet. Kirtland Warbler Festival, Kirtland Community College, Roscommon, Michigan. May 1996.
- Featured Poet. Creative Spirit Center, Midland, Michigan. September 1996.
- Featured Poet. Ann Arbor Poetry Slam, Ann Arbor, Michigan. June 1996.
- Featured Poet. Creative Spirit Center, Midland, Michigan. September 1996.
- Organizer and Featured Poet. Voices in the Valley (with Al Hellus, John Palen and Skip Renker). Saginaw Valley State University, University Center, Michigan. October 1996.
- Featured Poet. Larry Pike Memorial Reading Series, Macomb Community College, Warren, Michigan. November 1995.
- Featured Poet, “Completing the Circle,” Midland Center for the Arts, Midland, November 1995.
- Featured Poet, Poetry Slam, Red-Eye Cafe, Saginaw, Michigan. May 1994.
- Featured Poet – reading and workshop: “The Writes of Autumn: A Conference,” a writers conference featuring the work of the late William Stafford and his workshop members. Delta College, University Center, MI. September 1993.
- Featured Poet: River Junction Poets, Saginaw , Michigan , September 1992.
- Featured Poet: “Chautauqua.” Creating for Caring community center, Bay City , Michigan , August 1992.
- Oloyou: An Afro-Caribbean Creation Story (Story-telling, video showing and Mask-making for children), Hoyt Branch Library, Saginaw, MI, September 2006
- Guest Vocal Soloist, Saginaw Valley State University Collegium concert, “Music of the Renaissance XII”, April 2004
- Guest Narrator, Narrator, annual performance, Flûtée’s adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen , Performing Arts Theatre, Saginaw Valley State University, November 2001, November 2002, November 2003, November 2004, November 2005.
- Guest Narrator and co-author of script, “Flûtée’s Guide to the History of Music.” Saginaw Valley State University , February 11, 2001 .
- Two sculptural bookworks, “Membrane #1: This Woman” and “Membrane #2: Carnival” were exhibited in the All Area Exhibition at Studio 23 in Bay City, juried by Colin Blakeley, Fall 2003.
- Curator, Bindings & Unbindings, an invitational book arts exhibition , Saginaw Art Museum . Two of my works, “Masque” and “Book/Mask/Book” were exhibited. Fall 2001.
- Featured Artist, Creative Spirit Center Soiree, March 1999.
- Udder Ambivalence and Vessels, two of my bookworks on Jewish themes, are included in “Women of the Book,” an invitational book arts exhibition curated by Judith Hoffberg, which opened at the Finegood Art Gallery, West Hills, CA on 11/23/97 and toured from 1997 through 2001, including exhibitions at the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center (Vermont), Florida Atlantic University, Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit, Philadelphia and Kutztown, PA. The works were included in catalog for the traveling exhibition, Women of the Book: Jewish Artists, Jewish Themes. Ed. Judith A. Hoffberg. Florida Atlantic University Friends of the Libraries, 2001.
- St. Petersberg, 1993 bookwork, Michigan Book Artists exhibit (invitational), University of Michigan Special Collections, October-December 1998.
- “In a Bind” Group Show, Edinboro Book Arts Collective, several works; Blasco Library, Erie, PA, April 1998.
- A copy of my bookwork Udder Ambivalence was purchased by Special Collections, University of Michigan Library, in summer 1997.
- Photograph, “Lake Patzcuaro Whitefish” in Latent Image photography show (juried). Saginaw Valley State University, January 1996.
- Award of Merit, Udder Ambivalence bookwork. Valley Festival of the Arts faculty/staff exhibit (juried), Saginaw Valley State University, March 1996.
- Udder Ambivalence bookwork, Flywords paper sculpture, Women’s Works Art Exhibit (juried), Standish, Michigan, May 1996.
- St. Petersburg 1993 bookwork. Alma Statewide Print Competition (juried). November 1996-June 1997.
- St. Petersburg 1993 bookwork, Udder Ambivalence bookwork, What Sky? bookwork. Jack Pine Journal Art Show (juried), Kirtland Community College. November 1996.
- Photographic bookwork, ” St. Petersburg 1993″ in Latent Image photography show (juried). Saginaw Valley State University, January 1995.
- Photograph: “Poster Shop , Mexico City.” Latent Image Photo Competition IV, Saginaw Valley State University . January 1993.
- I was part of a conversation on Creativity and Inspiration on Dr. Caroline (Kay) Picart’s radio show on November 7, 2008. Listen at http://phoenixbroadcasting.net/interviewsonmp3.htm (clink the link at the bottom of the right-hand column)
- Wrote and produced “Dateline Havana,” a short radio documentary about the centennial of the birth of Cuban poet Dulce María Loynaz, broadcast March 31, 2003 by WCMU-FM in Mt. Pleasant , MI .
- Researcher, writer, translator and co-producer (with Mark Domsic) of the radio program, “Dulce Maria Loynaz: A Woman in her Garden,” aired on Delta Public Radio on April 23 and 30, 2000.
Multimedia and Video:
- My video, Carnaval in the Dominican Republic, was screened on the Documentary track at the Riverside Saginaw Film Festival, Saginaw, MI, on August 22, 2009.
- My video, Carnaval in the Dominican Republic, was screened at the Hell’s Half-Mile Film Festival, Bay City, MI, in 2008.
- My photo show and mask exhibit, Carnaval in the Dominican Republic, was at A City Studio, Bay City, MI, all of May 2007.
- Carnaval in the Dominican Republic, exhibit of masks, photographs, artifacts and video, Saginaw Valley State University Gallery, October 2006
- Produced original video, including all videography, sound recording, scripting and editing. “Carnaval in the Dominican Republic.” 25 minutes. 2005.Completely redesigned http://www.earthsdaughters.org, website for Earth’s Daughters, a literary magazine which I founded in 1971 and helped to edit until 1978. Also serving as webmaster. 2004.
- Designed and exhibited computer kiosk about Hispanic art in Michigan for “La Cultura de Michigan Vive” event, Saginaw Valley State University , October 2003.
- Co-authored Dulce Maria Loynaz website http://www.loynazenglish.org with graduate student Shun-Kai (Hammer) Chuang. This was his capstone project; I created almost all the text and photographs and edited the audio and video to provide English voiceovers; the audio consisted of my own interviews with Cuban associates of Loynaz and readings of my translations by Cuban and Dominican poets of my acquaintance, which I recorded. The website is now live. 2003.
- Site design, photography, animation and sound recording/editing, http://www.museodelhombredominicano.org – web page for the Museo del Hombre Dominicano, national anthropology museum of the Dominican Republic – 250 photographs, 50 html files. 2002. Now offline.
- Site design, photograph, writing for my “postcards” from the Dominican Republic, originally at Universidad Iberoamericana in Santo Domingo, now at http://www.svsu.edu/~kerman/postcards. 2002.
Reviews of my work in major media:
- My bilingual poetry collection, Plane Surfaces/Plano de Incidencia (CCLEH, 2002), was favorably reviewed by Sima Rabinowitz in NewPages.com
- My chapbook of poetry, Three Marbles (Cranberry Tree Press, 1999) was favorably reviewed by Paul Zimmer in The Georgia Review (Summer 2000)
- Uncommonplaces (anthology which I co-edited and published through Mayapple Press) was favorably reviewed in the Seattle Times and in Science Fiction Studies.
- Workshop Leader, “Meeting in Metaphor”, Friends Center, Chelsea, MI, October 2006
- I led a monthly community poetry workshop in Saginaw, Michigan from 1991 to 2009.
- Poetry Workshop: “Writing Poetry from Both Sides of the Brain.” Midland Writers Conference. Midland, Michigan. June 1993.
- Poetry Workshop. “The Future is Now” Conference (sponsored by the ARC of Midland, Community Mental Health and David Reece Fund). Midland, Michigan. September 1993
- I was a Returning Scholar resource person at the Fulbright Predeparture Orientation in Washington, D.C. June 25-27, 2009.
- Keynote talk, panel discussion and poetry workshop, Gateway to Writing, Standish, MI, October 2008
- Plenary speaker, Florida State University’s 33rd Annual Film and Literature Conference,
Cyborg Science and Virtual Materialities in Literature and Film,
January 31-February 3, 2008. The title of my talk was “Standing on the Edge: The Problem of Sentience.”
- Presented lecture on creativity, UCATECI ( Catholic Technical University of the Cibao), La Vega, Dominican Republic, February 2004.
- Presented a Book arts workshop, University of Pittsburgh/Bradford , Bradford , PA , March 2003
- Presented 3 workshops for the Instituto Dominicano-Americano on use of creative writing in EFL classes: as an inservice program for faculty of the Instituto in Santo Domingo; at the Instituto’s English Language Conference in Santo Domingo; at the Instituto’s English Language Conference in Santiago, Dominican Republic. Winter 2002.
- Presented 3-hour workshop on basic Web page design for UTECI staff in La Vega, Dominican Republic . This was a Spanish-only presentation. Winter 2002.
- Presented a Powerpoint talk on literary publishing in the United States as part of the Feria Internacional del Libro, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Winter 2002.
- Guest Seminar Leader, University of Kentucky, Lexington, AC 301-001 (Topics in American Culture): America as Apocalypse, November 23, 1999. The seminar members read my paper on Blade Runner (from the book on the same topic which I edited).
- Workshop leader, Sacred Clown workshop, “Completing the Circle,” Midland Center for the Arts, Midland, October 1995.